QEP recognizes water is a valuable resource. We have pioneered water conservation practices in our operating areas, utilizing the latest technology and following industry best practices for the responsible use and protection of water sources.
- Our company owned water recycling facilities have the capacity to recycle between 180,000 barrels of water per day and 200,000 barrels of water per day.
- We use only non-potable water sources for completions in the Permian, including recycled flow-back and produced water, as well as non-potable ground water which is not appropriate for humans, livestock or irrigation. This greatly reduces disposal volumes and fresh water consumption from surface and groundwater sources.
- In 2019, approximately 52% of QEP’s Permian water demand was met through the use of recycled produced water.
- From 2017 through 2019, we have recycled over 1.1 billion gallons of flow-back and produced water through our company owned water recycling facilities.
- QEP discloses it hydraulic fracturing activity, including the contents of hydraulic fracturing fluids, to the national online disclosure registry, FracFocus (www.fracfocus.org).
Well Integrity and Water
All QEP wells are designed, drilled, and completed in a manner that protects water resources. Best-management practices include installation of surface casing below potable groundwater aquifers, use of water-based fluid for surface casing drilling, and verification of well integrity.